Long distance relationships are not for everyone. It takes a lot, and can give very little. It shares very little with the regular relationships, and is likely to have more downs than ups. It takes patience, effort, hard work, initiative, creativity, imagination, and tons and tons of loyalty and trust.
And that’s only the beginning. A long distance love affair probably has more challenges and tests than it has rewards on a regular basis. It’s like a roller coaster ride of emotions, it’s like being put on a test every single day, and you always have to make that pull just so you could close the distance. It is for the brave, for the strong-willed, and for the believer. Try these tips on turning into an alpha male to make her stay forever!
If you’re starting a long distance relationship, or your relationship is headed in that direction, or just plainly curious about how it works, let me share with you 5 things that I’ve learned to be inevitable truths about long distance relationships.
5 Truths about Long Distance Relationships
- It can get expensive. Those two-day mini-vacations, the anniversary gifts, the data plan, the long-distance calls for when you don’t have internet – these are the things that can burn a hole in your pocket when you’re trying to keep a long distance relationship. You have to prepare for these things; you have to plan for them and save up for them. Your relationship won’t thrive on texts alone; you have to plan to spend real time together no matter how short or simple it is. You have to give your girlfriend from across the world or across the country something to hold on to enough to keep them hoping and believing in the relationship no matter how far apart you are. Money can’t buy you happiness but it sure can buy you plane tickets to see her. Save up for these.
- You cannot do it just by yourselves. You will need people to help you make it through. You and your girlfriend both need to surround yourselves with people who believe in you and who believe in the dignity and power of true love that perseveres beyond distance and beyond challenges. You both need people who will encourage you to go on and not push you towards giving up and finding another, far easier relationship situation. You don’t need many; you just need real and believing ones.
- You have to have plans for the future. Hope is the second most important thing in a long distance relationship. You need to instill hope in each other; that things will get better someday. Your relationship can only hold out for so long, and in that time of holding out, it’s the promise of a better situation that will keep you both through. Make future plans.
- There will be temptation for both of you. There is twice the temptation in a long distance relationship as there are in regular relationships. And it could come to you both. It is important to keep each other reminded of the love and commitment you have for each other and make efforts to keep your relationship cheat-proof.
- You have to be clingy. While ‘clingy’ sounds like a negative thing in a relationship, it is an important part of a successful long distance relationship. The thing that kills most of these relationships is not giving in to temptation or giving up against all of its challenges. It’s growing up apart and letting it happen. Don’t let each other become different persons without you in it; be there for each other even if it means being clingy and dependent. You have to make the most out of every opportunity to be together, even if it’s just on the phone or on a photo on Snapchat.
PS: Also see Terms of Endearment to Trash Before 2014 now! Thanks